Mold is not always visible. Nevertheless, its spores, or “seeds,” are pretty much everywhere. In order to become active (breathe, eat, and grow), however, they need two other things: food and moisture.
Food is easy. Mold is happy to dine on just about any organic material, including wood, drywall, paper and cardboard, some types of fabric and carpet, and even dirt.
Moisture, however, is not – at least not if homeowners take some steps to control it.
At Baker’s Waterproofing, we’ve been helping homeowners rid their homes of mold since 1975. We will inspect your home and provide the necessary suggestions. Contact us today for help with your mold problems.
10 Ways to Stop Mold Growth
- Circulate the air and keep the relative humidity at 65 percent or less. A top quality dehumidifier is the best way to accomplish this.
- Fix leaky plumbing and exterior sources of water. This often includes gutter and downspout repairs, re-grading around the house perimeter, and if persistent groundwater is the problem, an interior drainage system and sump pump.
- Seal crawlspace vents, install weatherstripping around basement windows and doors, air-seal gaps and cracks at the sill plate and rim joists.
- Install and use exhaust vents in the kitchen, bathrooms and at the clothes dryer.
- Insulate pipes, ducts, and other cool surfaces upon which water vapor can condense.
- Watch out for dampness, moisture, and leaks in the areas that are likely to produce mold, such as inside closets, inside cabinets near sinks, around toilet bases, under appliances such as washing machines and dishwashers, and plumbing pipes.
- Clean whole-house humidifiers regularly and only run them when necessary.
- Avoid storing newspapers, old books, furniture, and scrap wood in basements.
- Seal cracks in basement slabs and fit your sump pit with a lid. Encapsulate your crawlspace using a vapor barrier across the floor and up the walls and make sure to tape all seams.
- Have AC equipment serviced regularly. An evaporator coil, which is often damp, can otherwise become a source of mold.
Bring in the professionals at Baker’s Waterproofing, to get rid of all those ugly and gross mold spores on your basement wall! There’s a very good chance that the air your family is breathing in can be the mold in your basement because of the stack effect.
Baker’s Waterproofing helps homeowners throughout the Eastern & Central PA and Northern WV with our mold removal and remediation services. Don’t let mold destroy your basement – our service area covers: Allentown, Reading, Scranton, Bethlehem, Wilkes Barre, Harrisburg, Pittsburgh and Morgantown, WV. If you suspect your basement or crawl space already has mold, call us to schedule an inspection and to receive a Free Estimate.
Looking for a price? Get a no cost, no obligation free estimate.